Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Engine is apart, picked up a parts washer

I finally had a chance to remove the flywheel, and the engine is completely apart now. I made an origami seal case, as I didn't really want to spend the $60 for a little wooden box.

Thankfully, the internals don't look as bad as I had feared. Every water seal was bad, but there doesn't seem to be any damage to the housings, and the rotors while covered in a thick layer of carbon, don't seem to be too bad.

I bought a parts washer from Harbor Freight, thinking I could just dump my 5 gallon jug of solvent in and move on, but after putting it together realized the washer was not made for petroleum based solvents. Off I went to Lowe's for 4 gallons of Simple Green to mix with water for a water based solvent. I think I'm going to be going back and forth between the two...washer for most of the big parts, and jug for the rotor faces. The SG doesn't do much to the carbon, unfortunately.

No comments: